ecm newbie

Daniel E. Griffin slowfatslug at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 02:34:56 GMT 2000

>From: "Marteney, Steven J." <smarteney at xlvision.com>
>To: fat slug <slowfatslug at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: ecm newbie
>Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:43:52 -0400
>
>Unfortunately (for me and you) I've never technically hacked an ECU... yet.
>I've been on the list since December and have been learning a lot.  My
>current project is a 165 from an 89 TPI Firebird.  I've pulled the chip and
>read it as my baseline and have all the files necessary to tune.  Do you
>have the magical ECU file for your engine?  Just knowing it's a 165 isn't
>enough, unless you've BOUGHT one of the better packages like GMEPro or
>Tuner
>Cat's stuff.  Or, unless you plan to do a full on hack of the code by
>yourself.  Don't know if you're into HC11 assembly language or not.
>
>The 101 stuff a good primer, but can be confusing when moving to a 165.  I
>don't know if any cars running a 165 used MAP sensors, but all the ones I
>know of are MAF-based.  A lot of the tables are the same, but it's a
>different philosophy.  I can try to help you as much as I can, but the list
>will probably be the best place.
>
>I'm lucky I have a burner and eraser where I work, right next to my cube.
>:-)  Good to know there's someone on the list in the nearby area.  Maybe we
>can help each other out.

sounds Great Steve,2 heads are better than one, unfortunatly i dont have my
engines ucu file.. or a programmer to obtain it..To make the changes i want
i will have to hack the actual machine code..it may all be in the eprom or
iac driver? im not sure..According to Terry K it will be difficult...Tuner
cats wouldnt work on it either. GM says my 165 has been upgraded to a
16198445.. perhaps this one has all the iac bugs fixed 8-)..If that be the
case then alls i gotta do is hack the egr..what i need now is a
programmer/erasor. but ill have to find one quik, Its hot, surfs flat and im
headin to north Ga. in one week! - Dan