'747 + 6 Cyl + Turbo?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Nov 1 15:38:48 GMT 2000

  1969 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
      Vehicle Weight: about 3800 lbw
      Gearing: 4.11:1 diffs, 4 speed manual trans, 35" tires
      Motor: F engine: straight 6 metric clone of stovebolt six of Chevy fame, .030                     overbore, .030 shaved block/head
                  around 3900 cc displacement, doesn't rev over 4000 RPM
                  cast aluminum intake for 2bbl carb, steel tri-y header
  My current short-term goal is to simply install a throttle body/'747 system from a 4.3l GM truck or van. In the beginning I just want it to work well enough to drive around daily. Question: Do you suppose re-programming of the ecm will be neccesary?

  Probably.

   I assume the system would run without any mods due to the similarities of the engine displacement, but I don't have any idea of how well it might run.

  Run, yes.  Again GM never did Lan Cruisers, and even engine to engine they vary, never mind from different brands,  combustion chamber design plays a huge role.

  My long term goal is to turbocharge the motor with moderate boost (maybe up to 10 psi), fabricating an exhaust manifold using the weld-el/sch40 method. I assume I will probably need to replace the MAP sensor with a 2 bar unit, but I've not heard of anyone re-programming the '747 for turbo use. Is this feasible for a non EE like myself (I have programmed in C and other lanugages though and have a grasp of basic electrical concepts)? I would rather not fabricate a new intake manifold for port injection, that's why I picked the '747.

  I haven't seen a 2bar 747, and I think it would be neat.

  I don't see where your going to get out of this without reprogramming.
  If I were you I wire it for a 747 and 749, and then work out both.
  Then when you want to T/C it you're half way there with the 749.
  Tune the 747 first, and then the 749
  Bruce

  Please respond if you have any information you feel might help in any way :) Thanx for your time and bandwidth everyone.

  Shane Forster