WinBin vs PromEdit - problem with "mulOrDivOrBit"

David Papworth papworth at ichips.intel.com
Wed Nov 1 19:40:35 GMT 2000

Since you asked ;=)

Both WinBin and Promedit choke on the 7730v3.ecu file in the GMECM
page ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bins/1227730/7730v3.ecu

Both programs hang in the startup code, and never get to the
point of accepting user input). After futzing with the ECU file, I
discovered the reason for the failure was a couple lines in the file
that look like this:

/*yaxis                     =400  600  800  1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000
2200 2400 2800 3200 3600 4000
4400 4800,

(the line above may not be readable depending on your email client,
but the issue is an embedded line feed between the 4000 and the 4400.)
WinBin chokes on the line feed and hangs.
I corrected the two offending lines in 7730.ecu and both
WinBin and promedit run OK, even though the resulting line is quite long.
I suspect the offending line feed was inserted by somebody's
editor or email client along the way to the web site.

While it isn't a big deal either way if the program does or does not
accept the linefeed as whitespace, it would be nice if the program
at least detected it and didn't hang. There are likely to be lots
of inexperienced users trying your tool and editing ECU files, only
to run into this when they screw up.