Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing software

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Wed Nov 1 20:59:39 GMT 2000

Dig wrote:

> What I'd like to propose is that we work to define a
> standard for TDFs. This standard would have the
> following requirements:
>
> 1)Be portable across all operating environments.
> 2)Be Human Readable and easily defineable. (ie ASCII)
> 3)Would allow the user to define any size table or
>   single value, including the appropriate conversion
>   factors/formulas to convert the hex value to
> meaning-
>   ful data.

I've contemplated this subject in the past.  The only solution that
doesn't have built in limits is to make the definition file an actual
program.  What we need is the "Postscript" of chip editors.

I envision the editor providing lots of standard handlers for tables and
constants.  The definition file simply creates data structures that
invoke these standard handlers.  If the chip has nonstandard contents
(like a custom MAF table), the definition file itself provides functions
to handle these.

To avoid reinventing the wheel, an existing programming language should
be used.  Currently, the best choice is Java.  It meets all of Dig's
requirements.  The only drawback is a slight amount of bloat compared to
a non-executable binary format definition file.

As far as execution speed, I don't see much difference between reading a
suitably complex definition file, and interpreting Java byte codes.  One
method is interpreting data, and the other is ... interpreting data.
The difference is that one is non-extensible and the other is extensible.