Any Advice on Shorty Plugs?

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Thu Nov 2 04:35:29 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <OneSS2NV at aol.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: Any Advice on Shorty Plugs?

> In a message to the List, Dave Z. writes:
>
> << I had to take screw-top shitfires (already a little short) and modify
the
>  wire-ends to be 1/8" shorter (unscrew the tip and grind the bottom and
>  reinstall the tip) and live with that. >>
>
> Hmmm...someone on the Monte List suggested a similar idea.  I may
experiment
> with that first.  I'm just thinking I should replace the plugs, because
they
> were in the old engine for about 6 months, and then have about 4K miles on
> them with the fresh motor.  Of course, if I had some blowby in the
beginning
> (fresh rings), then my plugs will look pretty messy.

The FIT was fine, I could put boots on the rear-2 plugs where BEFORE I had
to remove the headers to put the plugs in and boots on. I burned a set of
wires every other race and I now own a spark plug crimp tool and a bunch of
accel 8.8 mm plug ends. So far with the shitfires I have not burned any more
wires. I have some mopar ceramic ends too to try if I get real desperate.

Only other bad part is that the heat range is mismatched, and I did not
index them. I needed them to go in all the way.

>    Dave, how did you do Saturday at the EFI Shootout at Englishtown?  I
heard
> them say your name when you were up at the line, but I couldnt' find your
car
> in the pits afterward.

At GMHTP I made it thru 2 rounds - in the second round I noticed the
alternator voltage down to 10V. I had lost the alternator and was running on
the battery alone. Next race I lost the reatcion time by 0.001, won the 60
foot time and the car went mushy as the battery voltage dropped below 8v.  I
had to get a recharge from Mike's car 4-5 times for the 100 mile trip home
with NO alternator. amazing the battery power required to go a normal 0 to
60 verses whats needed to maintain a steady cruise (almost none). Lights had
to come on eventually and that really did me in.

The 2 races I DID win, were handed to me. I would have lost the third race
because the opponent (4th gen, roll bar, 12.25 dialin) missed his time by
only 0.02 and beat my RT, and I'm not really that good at bracket racing
after the RT.