Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing

Warren Bowley gmecmml at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 3 12:09:19 GMT 2000

i've been watching these posts with a lot of interest since i've started
writing the new editor in my spare time and at this point have seen
a lot of valid opinions when it comes to the definition files.

>I don't think any of us relish the idea of rewriting the files so the other
>editors can read them. It's a fair amount of work and I'm sure each of us
>have little differences that would make them incompatible (or we'd argue
>until the next coming of Christ on what to do).

i agree.  the main reason i put together a different format is because:

a) i've never really used any of the editors out on the market.
b) it was the easiest format that fit the programming style i'm used to

i can understand people who have spent hours creating a specific format
for their preferred editor not wanting to take the time to create
all new files just to test out a new product that they might not want
to use.

>Frankly, for the non-shareware programmers, it is MP3 in the making. No
>doubt, if I opened up the EPE files, it would further the "knowledge base
of
>the DIY community." But for me, I sell the EPE files rather than the
>program. That's where the real work is located.

i don't blame you at all.  and i don't want to take away from the
money you're making.  for me this is a side project that i really don't
plan on making any money off of.  for me, personally, writing this program
is a learning experience.

>I hope that makes sense without sounding too dick-headed.

not to me it doesn't.  if you're making money selling EPE files, why
would you want to give it up?  certainly not all of the people you
sell the EPE files to would know how to make them, but like i said
i'm not looking to take any money away from the listers/programmers
who are currently making cash off of their product or the knowledge
of specific chips.

since nothing is set in stone yet for the configuration files, i can
change the way they are structured.  if the configuration file format
stays the same all depends on the demand of the potential end user.
so, if people have an opinion/suggestion on how they should be
structured, i'd be more than happy to take a vote on they way it
should look.

or, i could keep the format that i have now and build in some
conversion formulas to the program itself to translate into different
formats.