non-programmer ??'s

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Nov 7 04:15:33 GMT 2000

"Chris P." wrote:

> Hopefully somebody is willing to clarify a few things and speed up my
> learning curve.
>
> 1. Why is an .ecu file needed to translate a .bin, and why are they all
> different?

The ecu files are different because the bins are different.  A MAF bin
has different tables than a MAP bin does, manual is different from
automatic, and code changes from year to year also move tables around.
The .ecu file specifies where in the bin various tables can be found,
how they're scaled, what the data values are, etc.  With .ecu files, one
generic editor can be used for any bin file because the ecu file tells
the editor where to look to find tables.

> 2. What is efi332?

efi332 is a project to build an EFI computer from the ground up,
including original software.  see the WWW page for more info,
www.diy-efi.org/efi332

> 3. How did Tunercat know what ($AF) I needed to translate my Saab reference
> .bin? Is that info written on the chip simular to the directory track of a
> disk?
>
> 4. Will I need to learn C++, Java, Perl to understand the variables or write
> an .ecu?

None of those, but learning to read 6811 assembly wouldn't hurt.  By
reading tuning tips and programming 101, searching around in the
archives for answers to specific questions, and especially looking at
some of the bins on the ftp site with some of the free editors you'll
begin to see how tables are laid out.  If there's not a .ecu file for
your bin, you can use this knowledge to start finding tables in your
bin, and create a .ecu file from there.

> 5. Am I on the right track with this?

Depends on what you want to do.

> 6. Is there a good supplier of GM style connectors for adapting components?

That's a good question.  I just added it to the FAQ, look at the main
gmecm page (www.diy-efi.org/gmecm), click on FAQ.

> Thanks for everybody putting up with my (hopefully short lived) naivity.
>
> Chris P, newbie
> cp914 at lvcm.com

--steve
--