730 j-body communication

D. Barry Stubbs z24man at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 23:01:38 GMT 2000

Mike Rolica wrote:

> anybody here have any success on getting a j body ie a 89 z24 cavalier to
> talk through the aldl?
> what do ya have to send it?
> tried same as 8 d stuff ie f4 yada yada 01
> but get nothing.
>
> i get some continual chatter but cannot get it to go into any modes...
>
> what can i try for a device id and for setting the mode...
>
> back to lurk mode :)
> mike rolica

No success here, either, Mike.  The only way I was able to get anything
out of it was to swap in a PROM from the 3.1L engine and use Andy
Whittaker's FreeScan.  I can get most everything then except, because
the VSS input location is different on the 3.1 PROM versus my 2.8 PROM,
I don't get any VSS related info, nor highway fuel, nor EGR blah blah
blah.  I'm still looking for a program to read the 2.8 ALDL and for a
$6D mask editor.  For once, I may need to get off my lazy butt and work
on it some myself.  Egads, the though....