730 ECM Swap

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Wed Nov 8 09:36:44 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Townsend <xybertron at cox-internet.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: 730 ECM Swap

> From: "Dave Zug" <dzug at delanet.com>
>

> > Nobody mailed me that they wanted one (sniff sniff) - I been a loyal GM
> and
> > F bod fan for 4 hours a night for the last 3 years. ;-(
>
> You had to show interest... :-)

Yea but its been finished and info- available for more than a year! (well,
many more years if you include EFI archives)
 its just recently been "discovered" by the masses apparently and adopted as
a preferred method (um, the ONLY public method?)

The connector part numbers are new. I responded to your original question
with, as usual, a long detailed answer. The connectors we went after half
heartedly 6 mos ago and the 2 sources were dry, quiet, or just tired ;-)
commercial interest motivated the PNs coming out a bit.

< 60 day warranty on my 730 ECM>

I hear ya there. Just go buy another one and return the dead one for a good
one a few days later - white lie but if it was bad in the first place the
yard probably knew it and sold it to you anyway. you gotta have that
junkyard mentality to deal with them efficiently.

> > (just kidding - thats cool dan - the thread motivated us to get moving
on
> > the tasks) -
>
> I'll try to make that a trend.

I've got some PASCAL version 7 to re-code and back-into version 1.5  and I
can make a '730 version of the '165 free scanner in the FTP (long as the
author blesses me) so pester me on that!
- oops I wasnt going to tell the list about that one. ;-)

> > PS - the 730 conv cable was 80% complete last month, now the smurfs have
> > finally completed it. I'm now a 'convert'. we'll see if it stays in
though
> > heh heh heh...  cant complain - $6 total cost, but we had to mutilate a
> dead
> > MAF.
>
> Who you callin' a smurf?

Not you - I was talking about some little pin crimper helpers and other
motivators. Like I said, the cable design and a couple finished units have
been completed and running for quite a while (year almos) in this neck, I
just have been personally  avoiding taking the leap out of MAF before I got
the car running well in OE ECM system form. Version 2 is being tested this
instant. better mo faster, simpler, cheaper. Version 3, design is top secret
sorry(well, I dont know if its been determined a desirable project yet). Get
thru version one construction, you have a year head start on the R and D now
using some info from the website and some recently illuded to on the list.
Save time and your fingers, take the advice of getting junkyard connectors
with wires already on them, and buy the big 24/32. take some time to think
out the ESC mod dilema so you can explain it to those who ask you for
support in the swap.

and if I havent said it (4 times so far to the list)  no this isnt my
project, Its Mike's. I just get to test and poke at it and blab alot about
it (probably too much) and tune with it. He's done alot of work (some just
organization of list and GM manual info) and been considerate enough to take
time to document it and share it with the world.

> > car is going to sleep for the winter after one more attempt at a MAF 11
> sec
> > run.
>
> Good luck.

I think I got it no problem. Pray for my rear diff though...Thanks!