J N's MiniRam backfire

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:14:50 GMT 2000

Jason sent me an XLS spreadsheet with data from a scantool that shows a
backfire happening when he blips the throttle.  Car = 1987 Vette w/ MiniRam.
 Its pretty interesting.  (Jason, I am posting here because I can't find
your e-mail, thirdgen appears to be down, and I also want to share this
info with others here).

The data clearly shows Jason 'blipping' the throttle from off idle.  There
are 4 data points on the throttle blip and you can clearly see the O2 volts
going from the switching behavior at idle (TPS=0.53V) to 0mV on a Throttle
blip.  The data is below.  This appears to be a fueling issue (expecially
when viewing the SA in relation to the throttle blip and LV8).  Its undetermined
as to whether or not it is a PROM fueling issue or a mechanical fueling
issue.  What do you guys think?

RPMs,TPS, O2, AFR, Knock, SA, LV8
875, 0.530, 836, 14.7, 0, 25.4, 57
875, 1.630, 712, 11.7, 0,13.8, 189
875, 3.310, 292, 11.7, 0,15.9, 177
1300, 2.94, 0, 11.8, 0, 28.2, 175
1725, 0.90, 13 ,14.7, 0, 45.5, 124

Jason - quick question for you.  The MiniRam has ZERO provisions for EGR.
 What PROM are you running?  Are you running $6E code, $32B code?  Is your
PROM image based off an original TPIS image or did you start with the stock
image as a base?

A separate issue is that IMHO, knock -should- be detected and isn't.

Tim