Just got my TPI running...questions...

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 01:09:15 GMT 2000

 Well, I just spent the last two weekends installing a TPI system on my car
and just got it started after it turned dark on this Sunday night.  And since
it's already dark by the time I get home from work, I guess I won't get to
work on it more till next weekend.
But I immediately ran into a couple of problems.
The one you all might be able to help me is ... is there I source on the net
that details error codes.
I immediately got an error code 42 'spark control failure'.  But I know there
are a few different things this can be.  The ECM seems to read the RPM just
fine, and the advance (watching with timing light) seems to follow the
commanded advance, so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly.
Here is a little background info: SBC, 727 ECM, AUJP BIN.  When I rev it up
to 3000RPM, it runs rough and the tach. goes nuts.  It never did this before.
I don't know if this info is pertinent, but the distributor is the large HEI
coil-in-cap.  I bought a distributor off of EBAY. It was the Computer control
variety, but it had a V6 cap on it!  I though I had been ripped, but luckily
I looked underneath the cap and it was indeed a V8 distributor.  But I am
using my old cap that was from the '75 HEI distributor.  Are these
interchangeable? Or do I need to get the 'right one'?  Perhaps the posts are
keyed just enough degrees off to be causing a problem?  Tomorrow, I'll buy a
new one regardless, but I'm still curious to know.
But the main question is 'What exactly does code 42 mean' and does anybody
have a link to a sight that lists all the error codes and details to there
exact meaning.

Thanks,
Ted