Scope pics...

Matt S Bower m.s.bower at cummins.com
Mon Nov 13 21:14:58 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> The output side of transfomer is A/C.
> It's just that simple.
> You can argrue and dance around things all you want.
> Biased high or low, it's A/C  might be riding on an dc bias,
> A DC spark is lightning.
> If the plug was firing a DC voltage just one side would erode.

Used to work on ignition development,  Current only flows one direction
through the plug.  There are a lot of A/C components to the wave form as
Bruce describes but the spark it self is always in a predictable
direction with erossion mostly being due to the energy being focused on
a finite point on the electrode and one on the ground strap.  These
points are not consistant errosion and formation of the ion path but the
erosion is spot melting at the point of energy transfer.  I have seen
high energy systems completely slag plugs on the bench when people
forget about the physical contraints of the material.