DIY EGOR plans

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 15 02:07:19 GMT 2000

> I've been looking over the plans of the DIY EGOR tonight (thanks Bruce!).
> I'll throw some questions/comments out regarding it:
>
> 1) it looks like the circuit needs a positive AND negative voltage supply
> (+2.5v and -2.5v relative to ground). I'm thinking of either using a 555
> timer or an astable oscillator to make a switching power supply using a
> small transformer. Comments? Easier methods?

I've not looked at the circuit yet, but how much current are we talking?

The MAX232 chip can be used as a low current +/- voltage supply. It's got an
internal negative voltage generator, and you can tap those leads (I forget
which pin), and get up to -9 volts or so. -2.5 wouldn't be hard to get.

-Andrew (love the MAX232)