PROM Size on a 165

Mitch Louole brief456 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 23:17:50 GMT 2000

Newbie working on a 165 ECM.  I have many 256 PROM's but no 128's.  I'd like
to put the 256's to work.  The schematic's I have seen on ECMGUY's site,
show what looks like PROM pin 27 wired to A14 of the ECM bus.  (CS and OE
are also reversed)  This does not make sense.  Pin 27 of the original 128
PROM is /pgm pin, which should be tied high in the ECM.

I'm guessing the schematic was made from a later version ECM that takes 256
PROM's.  (Hense the A14 connection.)

Does the MEMCAL not interface w/ A14 on the ECM board?  i.e. Does the MEMCAL
tie PROM pin 27 high?  Can someone confirm that PROM pin 27 on a 165 ECM is
held high all the time?  Will using a 256 part for a 128 ECM cause error
conditions for certain BIN editors?  i.e. Do the editors check this?

I apologies if this has been discussed before, I have not yet found the
archive seach.

ML