Some basic questions

Jake Kooser jake_k at attglobal.net
Mon Nov 20 11:36:57 GMT 2000

Okay, since I believe this is the right forum, here we go.

My application again is an '85 Suburban 4X4 3/4 ton. 400 CI engine, TH400
transmission, gearing unknown as of now.

1. What fuel pump specs does the TBI require?  I currently have a mechanical
fuel pump (which I'm pretty sure has to go) that has 3 fittings on it -
inlet, outlet, and ?.  I think that the third line is a return to the tank,
but I haven't dropped the tank yet to verify.  Is there an in-tank pump that
will drop into this application, or do I need an external pump?  Please
include P/Ns if anyone has done this.

2. Care and feeding of the Throttle body...  I have dissasembled the
throttle body (except for the fuel regulator portion, warnings in the
manual...) and am cleaning the individual parts with a "carburetor dip".
Can I put the regulator in this sort of stuff, or should I dissasemble it as
well?

3. I currently have a 1227747 ECM from a 1989 van.  Can this control the
4L80 transmission, or should I revise my planning if I eventually want to
swap transmissions?  What about the possibility of building my system around
the '747 and upgrading the ECM later, when I do the transmission?  Will this
be a problem?

Thanks,

Jake Kooser