88 Police 350 specs

Eric Deslauriers Eric.Deslauriers at oracle.com
Tue Nov 21 00:22:20 GMT 2000

Hi all,

Some time ago, I swapped a (carbureted) center bolt head police 350 into
my TBI Blazer with the problem that a knocking code would get thrown
after warmed up and > 1/2 throttle.

I've been able to obtain what I believe to be the cam specs for that
engine. This doesn't seem to be a huge cam.

How does that compare to a typical 88 truck 350? I know the timing on
the police motor is set at 6 degrees, while the truck wants 0 degrees.
The police engine won't run in my truck unless I move the timing to 6
degrees (backfires through the TBI - ouch). Why would that be?  FWIW, I
had to reuse the distributor from the police engine since the cam gear
is backwards from the regular distributor. Would this be related?

<snip>
police 87 and 88 are the same. they both had 8.2 to 1 compression, 4
barrels, and duration 194*int.- 202*ext. (my guess is this duration is
@.050). the lift is .384" int.- .404" ext.  112* lobe separation.
replacement part number for crane cams is  104121
<snip>

Thank you,
Eric D