730 ECM Swap (group buy)

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 05:06:43 GMT 2000

Since I am still getting requests for the MAF to MAP conversion harnesses, I
guess it is time to get this thing rolling. Find my Packard connector Excel
file in the incoming FTP directory and look up the prices for the parts you
need. You'll need a 32 pin black connector, a 24 pin black connector, and a
32 pin yellow connector. Since there are 32 plus 32 plus 24 positions, I
recommend getting (88) 7730 ECM pins. You won't use this many to build the
harness, but it can't hurt having spares. You'll also need a header to plug
the MAF connectors into. You can either get the header as separate pieces
(see the Packard file) or you can get the header as one piece, the part
number of which courtesy of Bruce Plecan. I believe the one piece header is
cheaper so that's the one I recommend, but you may have other reasons for a
two part header. In about two weeks, I'll post a list of those wanting a
conversion harness kit and how many. You can confirm your order off list and
send me a PAYPAL payment. I'll charge a nominal shipping/handling/PAYPAL fee
of $5 to cover shipping to all continental US locations. Some locations may
be more, some less, so I hope it will average out. About a week later, I'll
place the order and hopefully ship the parts a week after that.

Keep in mind that this is only a parts kit and not a completed harness in
order to keep the DIY concept going. You'll need some 18 GA high temp wire,
solder, and heat shrink tubing to insulate between header terminals. I can
provide a 5 foot length of 1/4" heat shrink tubing for $.90 or you can get it
yourself. If you figure 32 plus 24 pins at the MAF header, and 1 inch of
tubing per soldered pin, you'll need 56 inches so I rounded up to 5 feet. I
can also furnish 18 GA 125 C thin wall wire from Waytek for $0.03 per foot. I
figure you'll need 60 feet ($1.80) of wire assuming one foot from 1227165
header to 7730 ECM connectors. When I post the list of group buy
participants, you can tell me what parts and quantities you want off-list.

Don't forget that there are sensor change outs and splices to be made also.
See how Mike Davis did his for more info. The link is:
www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis

Oh, and this buy doesn't include a 1227730 ECM or any sensors. You are on
your own to purchase those. For what its worth, the local Autozone is selling
Wells GM coolant sensors for $4.99 each. That's $7 bucks cheaper than any
other price I've found lately.

JW

P.S. I can now sell Packard connectors of most types needed at my cost plus a
small shipping handling charge. Email off-list for your order. I'll do a
group buy of those too when the amounts get large enough.