Help for Newbies on Spark Timing

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 22:35:31 GMT 2000

After reading about blown head gaskets all over this list and in the
archives, I decided to detune my spark tables until I can really do it right.
Well, now I get miss fires galore at mild acceleration. Since I don't have
the time as yet to tune my spark tables to "perfection", I decided to try and
use the existing mechanical advance distributor's timing curve temporarily. I
found a way to tie the GM system into the stock Jeep distributor and still
let the stock ignition controls remain. It works like a charm so far. More
power than with the ECM controlling timing and no more miss fires. I'll put
up a website in a few days explaining what I did. I will try and copy the
stock timing curve with the spark tables when I have the time as a starting
point for a Jeep (AMC 360) base bin calibration from which to fine tune
later. In the meantime, anyone know if you can tie the tach signal from the
negative side of the coil directly into the ECM distributor reference pin? I
would do it myself and see what happens, but I don't want to fry an ECM
unnecessarily. I would look at Ludis's schematics, but I don't know enough
about the electronics side of things to tell if it would fry.  JW