Compilers (human) needed

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Nov 28 10:10:10 GMT 2000

As I've mentioned to some of you, I've been writing a utility program
that tries to identify the proper BCC of a bin.  It's finally doing most
of what I want the program to do.  I just had it rip through 403 bins
totaling 16 megabytes in less than 36 seconds.  It identified almost all
the BCCs.  Previously I've spent hours doing the same thing by hand!  [I
just put 393 of the bins on a ram disk and sent the tool output to the
bit bucket: 20 seconds.]

It's now time for beta (alpha, pre-alpha?) testers.  Actually, I need
people who are willing to port it to other platforms.  The source is
GPL-ed, for those that know what that means.  I think I have a vict^H
volunteer, but more are welcome.  Right now the program runs on a
Macintosh in Apple's development environment.  It's a command line
program written in ANSI C (K&R-1988) and interfaces to the host through
the StdC library documented in K&R.

The program makes extensive use of 32 bit integers, and absolutely
relies on a flat memory model with pointers bigger than 16 bits.  It
uses a large data table that currently is 109K huge.  Its probably not
practical trying to build the program for an 8088.  Right now, compiled
for a 680x0, the program is 168K (which includes the 109K table).

BTW, the program also automagically converts between half a dozen
different hex file formats.