Ecm role expanding?

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Tue Nov 28 14:26:28 GMT 2000

> From: Jeremy Gonyou [mailto:jgonyou at hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Ecm role expanding?
>
> >     The thought that ABS brakes stop better than
> conventional brakes is
> >False.
> >     It's that they don't lock up and skid. Perfect for
> folks who should
> >not be driving.
>
> Personally, I have trouble modulating the brakes to 20% skid
> in a panic
> stop...guess I shouldn't be on the road?

I'm willing to bet that you also have problems modulating each wheel of the
car in a situation with less-than-perfect traction.  To me, this is where
ABS really shines.  If I need to release the brakes because I locked up one
wheel (rather common occurance on vehicles with less-than-perfect biasing),
I'm going to compromise the deacceleration of my vehicle.  ABS can
selectively unlock that one wheel, which will allow the other wheels to
provide maximum braking.

That, and there's the panic response that Jeremy mentioned.  Even if I have
perfect reflexes during any panic situation (and if I did, I'd choose to be
a fighter pilot or F1 driver instead of a EE), I know that there's a lot of
other drivers out there that could use an electronic helping hand.

That's enough non-ECM commentary from me.  I'm personally a big fan of
electronic "aids" that improve the function of the car (that is, getting me
from Point A to Point B in one piece), as opposed to "feel-good"
electronics.  Of course, my perception of a "useful" aid is going to differ
from others, and I'm fine with that.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante