GTech as a testing device

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Sun Oct 1 02:21:41 GMT 2000

> So, what other alternatives are there?  Someone mentioned a timer
> circuit and watching data from the logs in the VSS column.  That sounds
> pretty neat, and dirt cheap.  Any others?

higher sampling times than are commonly available in scan packages are whats
needed. If G-tech could let you cycle thru 1024 readings per quarter mile
that would tell the tale more completely! If it had a serial port on it or
USB for later downloads or direct connection that would be even cooler.  we
just need a single column with a really quick sample rate.

Methods that have ben discussed include bruce's automatic stop watch circuit
vss timer, I had toyed with a simple parallel port pin recording of the 5v
VSS line (wheel slippage is a problem with both for E.T. calculation but not
for accelleration comparisons - as long as you compare from 3000 rpm on.)  I
think I remember someone suggesting reading the front wheel ABS sensors for
accelleration - no slip. (sept FWD of coarse) . s pitot tube on an air speed
indicator I always thought would be a cool addition to the inst cluster ;-)
Data acquisition software is exp$, but the sampling rate is a wonder!