Ho ho ho Bin library

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Tue Oct 3 05:15:30 GMT 2000

Wull, however you want it Bruce.....

But,  I would tend to think that a library of stock OE CAL's in close
proximity to a similar nearby library (seperately labelled of course) of
CAL's associated with, or related to, or referenced to the above would be
helpful to newbies in the sense that people could independantly seek out
firsthand illustrations of ..........1)what the pro's take your money for
[in equivalent applications], or..........2)what the real die-hard
enthusiasts/homegrowers have accomplished/tried and found to work (or not to
work) with specific applications, with specific CAL's.

One does not have to preclude the other, but instead they can co-exist as
contrasting examples. Kind of an illustratrative tutorial supplement to
"Tunung 101", but certainly no replacement.

Often new people starting out mostly need a "sanity check" once in awhile
(ie: the student says.........I understand "what" direction to go in, but am
I really coding this damn thing right, and why is it not working for me?).
Making bread, and learning to fish, are are about as relevant to a new
carpenter as is basic accounting.

Just a few thoughts......

Walt.

>   Just gonna do stock (gm) ones.
>   The aftermarket flames aren't worth wasting the band width on.  Seems
like
> when I broached that all folks wound up doing were looking to bad mouth
the
> chip folks, while generally true, just went over board, IMO, and we got
> enough good stuff that I would perfer to stick with the originals.
>    I'm not really into sharing custom bins, kinda like making bread and
> learning to fish,  once ya get into it, no biggy.   Too many folks seem to
> be looking at times just to get close, and miss getting it right.
>    If anyone has any hacs or related material I would be more then willing
> to include that in the library.
>    Just having a BCC is fine, what helps is knowing the ecm part no., if
you
> include the mask no, that would save alot of work,  the  labeling I'm
using
> is like  AMUR1234 42.bin,  so just looking at the file name, we can ID it
as
> a 747 bin file.
>    if you included a .txt with application (ie engine, tranny, final
drive,
> platform), that would be spectacular.
>    Just sent the stuff to me for organizing,  if longer then 2 Meg please
> let me know it's coming, anything less, just hit send, bright.net is at
> times moody, but usually OK.
>    EVERTHING IN .BIN format please.
>    The vast majority of folks are using that.
> Bruce
>

> > Do you want just OE CAL's, or do you also want some aftermarket
commercial
> > tuner CAL's too?  Where's the deposit bag located?   How about
> > custom/private hac'd CAL's?   Just GM, or other's as well?  Can we tag a
> CAL
> > file on the end of an E-Mail description of same, and not have the
message
> > turned back due to "attachments" present?
> >
> > Assuming you are filing these CAL's in some categorical fashion, you'll
> need
> > to know at a minimum???.......1) ECM/PCM/Controller base P/N and
> description
> > 2)base MEMCAL broadcast code, or P/N if known, and description if known
> > 3)complete file checksum, and byte size    4)description of what the
CAL's

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org