Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Tue Oct 10 15:57:19 GMT 2000

>  Detonation , Lean Mixtures and N Ox   are all part of an undesirable
> fuel , ignition
     EVENT.
   Disconnect the EGR on a  "On the Fence" tune combination , Part throttle
cruise
   detonation and NO x ramp up substantially. Maybe,  GM didn't teach this
in school,
   however that fact has been born out many times in real world operation.
   " Not having proper EGR can cause "Ping" , but it's purpose is NOT ping
Supression."
  OK then , Define " Ping". Would you say it's  Uncontrolled Combustion" ?
Can we agree
that the "Ping" is the mechanical "noise" as a result of the combustion of
the low octane
portion of the chamber mix  igniting prematurely ?  Lastly ,  Factory
School Instructors
don't always present this information in the same manner, so indicate many
Top Gun
  Dealership Mechanics I've spoken with.  EGR feed is a mechanism to LOWER
Combustion Temperatures, So Does Higher Octane Fuel , for One Fix. Space  here
  doesn't afford a proper discussion of all the complexities of the subject.
  Len