Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode

JTesta1966 at aol.com JTesta1966 at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 16:57:29 GMT 2000

In a message dated 10/10/00 12:11:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sabatine at epix.net writes:

<< Part throttle
 cruise
    detonation and NO x ramp up substantially. Maybe,  GM didn't teach this
 in school, >>

Take out the associated ignition advance/fuel trim ALONG with disabling EGR
and you have an engine out of a 60's car  that didnt HAVE EGR :-)

Ever see a race car w/EGR? Why doesnt my TR ping w/EGR passage REMOVED? I'm
talking on cruise/tip in.

I think its a little bit backwards. The EGR's job, lowering the CC temps,
INHIBITS ping by what introducing an inert mixture to the CC. The EGR isnt
there to really COMBAT ping...thats what timing retard is for. Be it EST,
Vacuum advance, whatever. Keep CC temps low enuf and you'll not form NOx, and
you'll have less knock.

Jim  (FA) Testa                                             TType86 on
#BuickGN
ASE Master Technician                                buick.fiendish.net:6667
L1 Advanced Engine Performance                    NJ Lic MV Inspector
jtesta1966 at aol.com                           NJ Lic Emission Repair Tech
http://members.aol.com/jtesta1966/buick.htm
Associate Sponsor, Buicks at Bristol (RCA/JTP)