EGR disabled and Knocking

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Fri Oct 13 05:00:58 GMT 2000

At 08:48 PM 10/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I disabled EGR (1b3 set to 00) on my stock '91 C2500 350/A4, 7747.   When I
>took it for a test drive it knocked alittle during cruise and light throttle
>accel.   Should disabling EGR cause it to knock?  I thought it would run the
>same as with EGR on, seeing how EGR adds spark and removes fuel.
>
>Regards
>BrentH.
>
>Disabling the EGR , removes the Addition of the Inert Exhaust Gas , which
    subs as [ Artificial Octane Boost ]  a mechanism  to slow and smooth
Combustion.
    Hearing detonation is worse case scenario , it can be  happening
without being
    audible to your ear . It is audible to the KS . At minimum , long term
exposure to
    detonation will soften the piston decks and accelerate , top ring land
wear. If you
   see shiny specks on plug insulators , that's your pistons melting away
on the Fly.
    EGR tip in Added Spark Advance and  leaning fuel  works in concert to add
    fuel mileage and reduce NOx emission levels. It's all part of a plan.
     Len