commenting of disassembled code

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 13 23:24:10 GMT 2000

> steve ravet wrote:
>
> John Gwynne wrote a program that does basically just that.  It examines
> a commented set of code, looks for similar groups of instruction in an
> uncommented disassembly, and applies the comments to it as appropriate.
> I spent one evening trying to make it work and was unsuccessful, I'm
> sure because of the formatting wasn't quite right.  Haven't had time to
> look at it again but I mean to.  The source is on the ftp site,
> AsmCode.zip or something like that.
>
> - --steve

I'm planning to add some commenting capabilities to my m6811dis
program.  What I have in mind is a text file that contains nothing but
comments.  Each comment line will be prefixed with an address and a
special symbol indicating how to insert the text relative to the
instruction at the address.  This will allow for comments to be carried
from one run to the next of the disassembler.  It can be edited by
either a GUI or from any text editor or generated by parsers and other
programs.

And, I'm planning to add function seeking to the disassembler so that
while it is doing code-seeking, it will be blocking off functions.
Then, I'm planning a fuzzy comparison algorithm that can compare
functions across various binaries and pattern match similar functions.
It can then auto-comment the second binary from the comments placed on
the first binary.

I think this will basically do what everyone (including myself) is
after.  For printed comments, you scan and OCR the document and create a
text comment file (as I described above) and then you run the
disassembler with the binary from the printed document against another
binary and presto.

My only problem is finding time amongst all of my other projects to get
it in place.  But it is coming, eventually.

Donald