reading a Knock Sensor

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Sun Oct 15 00:03:23 GMT 2000

>> Apparently not. Just one crystal in the KS.
>
>?. Don't it ground to the block?.

To measure the output--yes, you need to measure
from the threads and the centre single output. You can
totally teflon these things up and they'll still create an
AC voltage at knock. When mechanical pressure
is applied to the crystalline structure, it produces a voltage
proportional to the pressure--squeeze, if you will.
A magnetostrictive knock sensor is different--I believe that
type has a magnetic coil and works like a microphone...not
a piezo type. I know you test a magnetostrictive KS with
an ohm meter--so it suggests a coil in the sensor.

>blam<

>My point exactly, in your first post you just mentioned squeeze the
crystal<<

Squeeze, push, pressurize, hammer--whatever. It's the force or pressure
exerted against the crystal.

more

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org