Newbie help

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 17 00:22:10 GMT 2000

> Yeah, I really just want some pointers to sites where actual real life EFI
> hackers have documented their experience and convresion.

Here, and DIY are the largest/best/most correct sources I've found.

> > TBI systems are easier to relate to if you have an understanding of
> > carburation.  TBI is a "bridge" between carbs and port fuel systems,
> > and lotsa carby type thinking transfers to the understanding of tbi
> > tables and operation (when you get to that point).  Lotsa first
> > conversions are to TBI, just because the parts are usually much
> > cheaper.  I've bought manifold/throttle body/ecm/harness together for
> > $100, and that's a little steep for the good shoppers.
> TBI definatley would be the easier choice except I'm hard headed and will
> not be satisfied until I have the REAL DEAL(TM) multiport fuel injection
> so why do it twice? :-)

Oww, kinda like learning to walk before you run.
Way, too many folks, start over their heads, and then have to relearn alot
and forget old bad habits to get it right.   Unless your really well versed,
I'd suggest small steps.

> > Get a general plan in mind first.  EFI is such a broad topic that
> > you'll quickly get lost in it if you don't have a specific goal.  What
> > are you thinking of converting?
> Well I have this 1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 that has been my project for the past
> 3 or so years. I have the mechanicals in good order all except for the
> induction system.... The old quadrajet has seen it's day with worn
> throttle shafts, needles, jets and I don't want to replace it. I'd rather
> spend the money on some type of high-performance EFI system using factory
> parts if possible.
> I had thought of modifying a single plane manifold (have end mill will
> travel) but factory TPI seems much easier. Did I mention TPI looks cool?
> Naaaah nevermind!

TBI to single plane adapter is another option.
Personally, the TBI sounds really good for your application.
Real good.

> So now the reasone for my plea for help! From what I've seen so far there
> is a myriad of ECM/PCM to choose from not to mention MAF/MAP systems 8 and
> 9 injector systems. The junk yard I'm fond of doesn't have any of the
> popular number ECU I've seen (747, 165, 730). Will any ECU have the
> necesary functionality with a reprogram?. Am I making this too
> complicated?

Stick to those three, unless you want to start reverse engineering an ecm.
If TBI then just get to know the 747.

> On top of all this I'm kinda impatient.. errr, so I want all the answers
> now *:o)

Hahahahaha,
be prepared for lots of frustration then.
This is something that won't happen instantly.
Information is the key here, and unless you have total recall and a
photographic memory this will take time to learn, and UNDERSTAND
Bruce