Newbie help

Andrew McRory amacc at iron-bridge.net
Tue Oct 17 12:47:55 GMT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> > TBI definatley would be the easier choice except I'm hard headed and will
> > not be satisfied until I have the REAL DEAL(TM) multiport fuel injection
> > so why do it twice? :-)
>
> Uh-huh.  Well, it's like buying a car that needs paint vs a car that
> needs total restoration.  The guys with ambition think they're all the
> same.  The guys with experience recommend starting with the paint job
> car.  It's easier and faster to finish, and you will be enjoying your
> work sooner.

Hmmm, been there doine that... helll this Jimmy is a classic example but
that's another story..

> > I had thought of modifying a single plane manifold (have end mill will
> > travel) but factory TPI seems much easier. Did I mention TPI looks cool?
> > Naaaah nevermind!
> You could make something like this.
> http://eol.grolen.com/shannen/efistuff/mpfi4.jpg
> http://eol.grolen.com/shannen/efistuff/mpfi3.jpg

Yeah, that kicks! I have a sheetmetal manifold for my 351C "toy" racer
that I fabricated back in (shudder) welding school that would make a good
easy conversion to MPI...

maybe after I tackle the TBI setup I'll do my own TPI on the 351... (yes
Bruce and others I'm convinced :-)

> What!!  No 165/730's?  You're kidding??  The 165/730/727 have been
> used on more 2.8/3.1 cars than on 8 cyls.  Plus they cost less if the
> yard doesn't think it's a Camaro or Corvette computer.

Looked at a couple of Quad4 cars and several others... I dunno maybe
someone got all the good ones?

> > On top of all this I'm kinda impatient.. errr, so I want all the answers
> > now *:o)
> >
> Well then, what are you doing wasting time reading?  Run out and buy
> some parts, bolt 'em on, see what happens.  That's how a lotta guys on
> the list were working back in the early days.  Then when things don't
> go right, figure out why.  This 101 stuff makes things waaay to easy.
> ; )
> Shannen

Hey! Don't knock it!!! Just be prepared for the mistakes and frustration
that will come your way... ain't that part of the fun?! hehhehehehee Some
of my best work has been from jumping in with both feet! (had my share of
failures tooo)

So anyway, if I can get out of work this afternoon I'm going to pull TBI
parts! Last minute suggestions welcome :-P

Thanks all!!

Andrew McRory - President/CTO        amacc at iron-bridge.net *****************
The PC Doctor, Inc.                  www.pcdr.com            850-575-7213 **
Iron Bridge Communications, Inc.     www.iron-bridge.net     850-575-0779 **
Contributed RPMS for RedHat and Caldera   ftp://ftp.iron-bridge.net/pub   **