Newbie help

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Oct 17 04:03:06 GMT 2000

Andrew McRory wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Shannen Durphey wrote:
>

> Yeah, I really just want some pointers to sites where actual real life EFI
> hackers have documented their experience and convresion.
Documented?  Some of my work is in the archives.

> TBI definatley would be the easier choice except I'm hard headed and will
> not be satisfied until I have the REAL DEAL(TM) multiport fuel injection
> so why do it twice? :-)

Uh-huh.  Well, it's like buying a car that needs paint vs a car that
needs total restoration.  The guys with ambition think they're all the
same.  The guys with experience recommend starting with the paint job
car.  It's easier and faster to finish, and you will be enjoying your
work sooner.

> > Get a general plan in mind first.  EFI is such a broad topic that
> > you'll quickly get lost in it if you don't have a specific goal.  What
> > are you thinking of converting?
>
> Well I have this 1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 that has been my project for the past
> 3 or so years. I have the mechanicals in good order all except for the
> induction system.... The old quadrajet has seen it's day with worn
> throttle shafts, needles, jets and I don't want to replace it. I'd rather
> spend the money on some type of high-performance EFI system using factory
> parts if possible.
Hey, don't be dissin them Q-jets.  : )

'Sides, all things are possible, it's just a matter of time and money.

> I had thought of modifying a single plane manifold (have end mill will
> travel) but factory TPI seems much easier. Did I mention TPI looks cool?
> Naaaah nevermind!
You could make something like this.
http://eol.grolen.com/shannen/efistuff/mpfi4.jpg
http://eol.grolen.com/shannen/efistuff/mpfi3.jpg

> So now the reasone for my plea for help! From what I've seen so far there
> is a myriad of ECM/PCM to choose from not to mention MAF/MAP systems 8 and
> 9 injector systems. The junk yard I'm fond of doesn't have any of the
> popular number ECU I've seen (747, 165, 730). Will any ECU have the
> necesary functionality with a reprogram?. Am I making this too
> complicated?
What!!  No 165/730's?  You're kidding??  The 165/730/727 have been
used on more 2.8/3.1 cars than on 8 cyls.  Plus they cost less if the
yard doesn't think it's a Camaro or Corvette computer.

> On top of all this I'm kinda impatient.. errr, so I want all the answers
> now *:o)

Well then, what are you doing wasting time reading?  Run out and buy
some parts, bolt 'em on, see what happens.  That's how a lotta guys on
the list were working back in the early days.  Then when things don't
go right, figure out why.  This 101 stuff makes things waaay to easy.
; )
Shannen