Problem with 3.1V6 (Ignition related)

Scott Feaver scott at j-body.com
Wed Oct 18 19:14:54 GMT 2000

I am having a problem with a 3.1V6 engine, ignition related.  This car has
DIS and a 730 ECM.

I changed the module because a pair of cylinders werent firing.  Didnt seem
to help, so I had that replaced and got three coils as well (I have to drive
45 miles to get to the USA to buy the stuff at reasonable prices so I got
all three :).   Changed the crank sensor and am getting a good reading off
of it (about 1.4 volts AC with starter spinning motor).

I've done testing according to the factory service manual and it would
indicate that the module is good because it is switching properly.

But what is happening is the motor wont rev higher than about 400 while it
is trying to run.  And only indicating spark on two or three cylinders it
seems.  Runs real rich, cat gets hot as hell, motor is running so rough it
is almost falling off the mounts.

It is setting a code 42 after running for a few seconds according to Diacom.
Also, a couple of times it said it was in Backup mode as well.  I am not
getting any indication of Advance or reference degrees (they show zeros).

Anyone have any ideas?

I have also switched the wires for a new set as well.

Thanks,
Scott