Problem with 3.1V6 (Ignition related)

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Oct 19 22:04:31 GMT 2000

Have you tried tapping the ecm while the engine is running?  That's a
good, technical test to see if the ecm is working correctly. : )  Use
a screwdriver handle for it, firm but not damaging taps.   If you
remove the 5V bypass line from the module, does the car run better?
Can you scope the REF input and EST output signals?  What happens if
you ground the ALDL terminals?

Are the injectors firing?  Some of the 6 cyls would lose one injector
driver, killing 3 injectors.  This shouldn't set code 42, but it would
cause the ecm to richen the 3 firing cylinders.  Simple noid light
will test that.

Ain't diagnosis fun?
Shannen