petrol tank venting ecu control

Dave Evans dave at lotuscarlton.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 19:38:55 GMT 2000

Hi all

Could anyone point me in the direction of some info on petrol tank
venting? Particularly how/why use a carbon canister.

I'm about to fit the second fuel tank in 4 months because of it being
sucked in, and splitting! I am unable to grasp what is going on with the
venting and control of the carbon canister and why it's connected back
at the inlet manifold end?

I have confirmed that the valve in/on the canister operated via tech1,
at what point would the ECU fire the valve? the car uses the ECU from
the ZR1 so I guess its a P4(331)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Evans
Lotus Omega 3.6L 24v, striaght 6, dual Turbo 412BHP