Gas mileage and headers

John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM
Thu Oct 26 19:50:32 GMT 2000

hmmm, agreed.  Guess that's why nitromethane fuelers are the way they
are....they bring their own oxy

"Chris Bennight" <Christopher_Bennight at baylor.edu>@diy-efi.org on
10/26/2000 03:03:56 PM

Please respond to gmecm at diy-efi.org

Sent by:  owner-gmecm at diy-efi.org

To:   <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
cc:
Subject:  Re: Gas mileage and headers

|.  Fuels just carry carbons and air
| oxygen.  The right carbon to oxygen ratio is the most important thing in
IC
| engines, A/F ratios are an easier way to look at it, but it still comes
| down to carbon balancing and stoichiometry.  Which brings us back to
things
| like heat of combustion, cylinder pressures, and torque.

   But oxygen is the limiting factor in our type of engine.  You can always
spray
in more of whatever fuel you have  - to get more "carbons" - but if you
don't
have the oxygen to  oxidize the carbon's then it doesn't matter.   If you
really
want to quantify it the best way would probably be to divide the heat of
combustion
by the number of oxygen's required  (for same number of moles  of
hydrocarbon/alchohol).

  You can make more power with alchohol, but it takes proportionally MUCH
more
alchohol than gasoline.

  Chris Bennight