749 O/L idle help needed.....

David Papworth papworth at ichips.intel.com
Mon Oct 30 06:37:20 GMT 2000

Try disconnecting the flexible hose going from the turbo to
the intercooler. You may be seeing a phenomenon called
turbo bootstrapping. Engine speeds up, more exhaust
through turbo, higher pressure into throttle body, more
air into engine, Engine speeds up more, more exhaust
through turbo, etc.

This phenomenon is typically more prevalent at higher
output than idle, but it is an easy thing to try to see
if the varying idle speed stabilizes. If this makes a
difference, it could guide the direction for further
tuning.

Getting a stable idle speed in this application, with so
many interacting systems, is not an easy problem.