Introduction and 2 questions

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Sep 8 07:47:06 GMT 2000

Mark Grave wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'd like to introduce myself: my name is Mark Grave and I'm from Quebec,
> Canada.
Hi, Mark.

> I've been lurking on this list for about 6 months now and was
> already looking at the DIY EFI website way before that. I'm familiar with
> electronics as an hobby. And like most of us, I like to tweak cars. ;-)

Note to self:  make sure "tweak" doesn't really mean "leave bent and
broken". ; )

>So I
> enjoyed surfing around GMECM.
>     Anyhow, I'm really impressed by the amount of information that
> circulates around and congratulate everyone of you. I've read programming
> 101, tuning tips, and lots of ALDL information sites. And I still have a
> couple of questions that maybe some of you could answer. (If these questions
> were already answer, please excuse-me and just direct me to the appropriate
> site or archive, I'll run another search)
>
> Btw,  I own a 89 Chevy Caprice that should have a $61 ECM (#1228746). It has
> a 305 TBI engine (LO3). I've replace the heads and cam. I used 96' vortec
> heads and a B-Body Lt1 cam (191/196 .418/.430). Kept my stock TBI for now
> and replaced the intake manifold with an edelbrock performer. The car also
> has headers and 2.25" dual exhaust.
>
> 2) Now, with these engine modifications on a stock ecm, the car isn't at all
> tuned. However, I can't find any detailed information on my '8746. Is this
> ECM some sort of old relic? Was it replaced by a new p/n? Or does people
> upgrade the whole ECM unit to a better 8192 bauds? Is it easy to do so? I
> know that TBI trucks seem to have better ECM capabilities and
> "DIY"-information.
The ecm capabilities are not necessarily better in the 7747, but
definitely better documented.  The 8746 has a lean cruise mode which
is designed to help fuel economy, something the 7747 is lacking.  But
most people end up finding a 7747 to install in place of the 8746 in
order to use the tuners that are available.  I'm sure someone that's
done the swap will be able to tell you what wires will have to be
moved around in the connectors.  Does Tunercat cover the 8746?

>     I was hoping to get the ALDL interface running before the engine build
> up, but couldn't get it to work and time was running short. Now, the engine
> is running so so and I can't see nothing. I'll install a dashmounted O2
> meter from the GN website as soon as I get an heated O2 sensor. I'll also
> get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge and tach.
>     I can't start burning proms without "seeing" ;-). I'm begining to loose
> hope
> and I wonder if I should get a custom prom burned for me (but I find it too
> expensive for what it is and I don't get to learn what's going own :-P  ).
DIY.  You'll have the most fun doing it, and if you decide to make
changes to the engine/powertrain later, you'll be able to tune for
that.  Plus you'll get to drive in to the local GM dealer and impress
the technicians.
Shannen