Introduction and 2 questions

Mark Grave chevy89 at abacom.com
Fri Sep 8 12:05:13 GMT 2000

> Note to self:  make sure "tweak" doesn't really mean "leave bent and
> broken". ; )

LOL, :-]

> The ecm capabilities are not necessarily better in the 7747, but
> definitely better documented.  The 8746 has a lean cruise mode which
> is designed to help fuel economy, something the 7747 is lacking.  But
> most people end up finding a 7747 to install in place of the 8746 in
> order to use the tuners that are available.  I'm sure someone that's
> done the swap will be able to tell you what wires will have to be
> moved around in the connectors.  Does Tunercat cover the 8746?

    In other words, If I can stay with the 8746, I would tend to have better
overall economy while still keeping the same "tuning" capibilities as the
7747. Tunercat does cover the 8746, but I have to buy the seperate
definition file. I can't just get the direct file with my first order. But,
a couple months back, I was earing that there was some faults in their
definition file and the output bin wasn't appropriate for the changes. I'm
sure that they checked that out. I'll check with them.
    Therefore, I think I would stay with the 8746, it's cheaper to get
Tunercat than a new ecm box ;-)

> DIY.  You'll have the most fun doing it, and if you decide to make
> changes to the engine/powertrain later, you'll be able to tune for
> that.  Plus you'll get to drive in to the local GM dealer and impress
> the technicians.

;-)

Thanks for the input,

Mark Grave