hex editors & 8051 Qs

Bill Shaw bshaw at connix.com
Sat Sep 9 02:07:00 GMT 2000

I've just discovered Axe,  a Windoze hex editor at http://www.kahei.com/.  Is anyone using it? It's pretty good,  and it's free.

While playing with Axe I noticed a bunch of text in the '8501 bins I have, and that brings up some questions:

There's  a Delco Electronics copyright notice at the beginning,  is this common in the GE bins?

There are a number of flash programming messages in both the master and slave bins,  Is the code to re-flash already in the flash,  or do I have to download a flash program into RAM?

There's a text string near the end of the bin,  'Changes (C)'.  Is this in a normal bin,  or did someone tweak this one and leave that as their signature?

Bill