7747 tuning again

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 05:11:59 GMT 2000

Continuing from a previous thread, I have done some more tuning on a 7747 and
now I am stumped. I put a GM 5.7L TBI on a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with 360 AMC
engine. I am using Tunercat for a 7747. The spark tables start at 22 deg and
go to 35   deg at 3600 RPM all the way to 75 Kpa. I added 5 deg to the spark
table across the board and it knocked quite a bit so I went back to this
table and it runs real well on the hiway and pulls real good in low gear from
a dead stop. My scantool can't read knock counts so I just have to listen and
feel for power loss due to knock. I know this is not the best way to dial in
a spark table, but I checked the stock vacuum advance and found it to be 22
deg, and estimated the mechanical advance at 13 to 15 deg, so 35 total
advance seemed reasonable.

Now for the problem. I am maxed out in the VE tables and still can't get the
BLMs less than 128 above 50 Kpa. My VE adder table is 60% for 400 and 800
RPM, then 80% for 1200 RPM, and 100% all the way to 3200 RPM and above. Below
50 Kpa, I've got BLMs around 115 to 120, but due to the adder table being so
high, I can't remove any more fuel there.

My main fuel table is 100% at 60 Kpa and 2800 RPM and everywhere above that.
So I have no more adjusting room from 70 KPa to 100 Kpa and I still haven't
got the BLMs below 128. Its close, like about 135 to 145, but not below 128
as Bruce recommends for smooth tip-in.

What is wrong here? My opinion is that I have maxed out the injector
capacity, but  wouldn't that mean I am using 270 Hp for a 60 lb/hr injector?
I am using two orange/black injectors which according to tunercat
documentation is 60 lb/hr. I didn't think this stock engine with a couple if
clacking lifters was capable of this power level. My fuel pressure is 18 PSI.
Could that be holding back my injectors? I read that they can't open all the
way with too much pressure? The truck runs strong on the hiway all the way to
80 MPH and above, and the BLM levels out at 135 to 145 with a 128 integrator
at cruising speeds when not in PE mode. Is this good enough or should I go
one injector size larger? O2 counts still increase like they should and I
have over 800 mV on the O2 sensor at WOT. Any suggestions?