Traction Control

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Sun Sep 24 20:14:45 GMT 2000

At 09:11 PM 9/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm interested in improving traction on snow and ice more than reducing
>wheel spin on a hard launch.  Would a custom torque converter help
>here?  Can you tell me more about it?  I'm not real familiar with how a
>torque converter works.
>
>I'm considering some firmware techniques to reduce power for winter
>driving.  Maybe retarding spark a little or missing an ignition pulse.  Is
>anyone doing this kind of stuff?
>This will be my first winter in the Z,  and I'm a little concerned about
>getting stuck in the snow.
>
>Bill
>
>  It's easier and less expensive to change the torque converter;  The
> production torque converter in F car A4 is very " tight ,low stall "  2x
>  torque multiplier. which is no help in slick operating conditions, Touch
> the throttle , tires spin easily.
>  We normally replace it with a custom built unit  , which has (looser)
> "higher stall / slip ratio , Engine RPMs up before tires spin .
>The combination , combined with appropriate "All Weather" tires ,greatly
>improves control and traction , without compromising
    overall driveability or fuel economy.   As  default,  "hard launch" on
dry pavement is improved , as well.
    The basic idea here is to reduce tire spin , in Snow ,Or the Green
Light Gran Prix. This approach applies to nearly any vehicle which
has a off idle responsive engine / power train profile.   Glare Ice is
trouble in ANY case , unless equipped with studded tires, if legal in
your locale.  A full Fuel tank and a 50lb bag of rock salt in F car hatch
cavern won't hurt winter traction in any case. We are straying from
EFI content here , Torque converters are a subject all to themselves , and
a complex one at that.
Len