Scan tool question

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Wed Sep 27 05:27:35 GMT 2000

Anyone have any experience with an Actron III scan tool.  I am using it for
tuning my 7747, but it doesn't display anywhere near the data that it does on
my 7730 TPI setup. In particular, it shows no knock or spark info period, no
injector PW, and no BLM cell number. Is this because of the 160 baud rate of
the 7747 ECM or do I have a poor scantool?

Also, I noticed that the BLM RPM and MAP limits are adjustable in the 7747.
Is it possible to slide the max BLM RPM down to say 1500, and the max BLM MAP
down to say 50 Kpa, and thereby shrink the 16 BLM cells so that they cover a
smaller portion of the overall MAP and give better tuning resolution, or does
this just reduce the number of active cells by ignoring the cells outside of
the programmed limits?

I have also come up with the idea (after my first tuning fiasco in which I
ran the VE tables through the roof) of ratioing the base pulsewidth constant
as the first step in getting a new calibration honed in. For ex, if the BLMs
are all high and around 160 on the first run then increase the BPW by a
factor of (160/128 =) 1.25 before ever starting on the main VE table. Seems
that this would have gotten me in the ballpark quicker. Any comments on this
method?