quickie tuning method

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Wed Sep 27 22:51:34 GMT 2000

Let me run this by the experts. After my first tuning experience flopped (but
I learned a lot), I started over with the stock Chevy 1/2-ton C-1500 bin in a
7747. I drove my AMC 360 around and watched the BLMs try to make the thing
drivable. All the BLMs were near 160 so I increased the BPW constant from 135
to 170 (160/128=1.25; 1.25 x 135 = 170). Now the vehicle runs great with BLMs
in the 120-128 range everywhere and 850-900 mV on the O2 at WOT. So the
question is, can tuning be this easy? If not, how do you use BLMs to adjust
the main fuel table numbers? The BLMs seem to be so broad that I don't see
how to arrive at a change from one table value to an adjacent table value.
For ex., consider an RPM change from 1200 to 1600 RPM at a MAP of 50 Kpa.
>From what I can tell the BLM can't distinguish changes at this resolution in
the table. Do you have to analyze O2 sensor volts to get to this degree of
perfection? Or can you narrow the BLM range down to cover only a small
portion of the fuel table to get to this resolution?

Second, the BLMs and integrator numbers climb to 135-145 during mild
acceleration. Then once the transmission shifts to a higher gear the BLM
drops back down into the 120s. Is this sudden climb and then drop normal?
Does this mean additional tuning is needed in the acceleration pump shot? I'm
not talking about a floored pedal launch but a smooth mild take-off from a
stop light. There is no hesitation, just a temporary increase in the BLMs
during the acceleration. I realize the BLMs might be jumping from cell to
cell, but I see a gradual increase, not a drastic skip to another number.