Spark advance tuning made simple and quick?

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 04:32:13 GMT 2000

Gentlemen, I have an idea that may save tons of time when tuning spark
advance. In general, I have a very simple way of manually adjusting spark
advance a known amount on the fly while driving. That way, you could set the
entire SA table to say 25 below 60 KPa and say 5 above 60. Then, you could
drive at known RPMs and MAPs and just manually dial up the SA while listening
or watching for knock counts on a scantool. Once you hear or witness knock,
just write down where on the RPM vs. MAP map it occurred and how much advance
you had cranked in and how much you backed out. Then, its just a matter of
reburning the chip one time with the results of the run. If there is any
interest in this procedure, I'll write it up in a website with digital photos.