VSS was:Re: BCC decodes

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Thu Sep 28 12:50:30 GMT 2000

Mike wrote:

> perchance is this a speedo/vss with a speedo cable to the back of it? also
> is the vss on this easily removable (if the above is true?)?

I imagine it's similar to what's on my S-10.  on the back of the
speedometer, where the cable attaches, there's a little paddle that
spins with the cable and periodically interrupts an infrared
emitter/detector pair.  This signal is sent to the ECM as VSS.  I don't
remember if it's removable, but the fact that behind the instrument
cluster means it's not easy to get to.  JTR and other places sell VSS
adapters that attach between the trans and cable and generate VSS
signals.  That way you keep your speedo cable and also have a VSS
signal.  Look in the archives, there's a lot of info about VSS sensors
and adapters.  JTR is at www.jagsthatrun.com

--steve

--
Steve Ravet