VSS was:Re: BCC decodes

D. Barry Stubbs z24man at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 15:21:21 GMT 2000

Mike wrote:

> perchance is this a speedo/vss with a speedo cable to the back of it? also
> is the vss on this easily removable (if the above is true?)?

As I understand it, on the 87 & 88 J cars, there is a VSS at the
transaxle itself.  Then, in 89, the VSS was moved to the instrument
cluster.  This is for digital dash version.  I'm not certain how the
analog dash versions work, seeing as how I've never messed with any
other J car except my own, which does have the digital dash.

Ahhhh... this is beginning to sound familiar.  The J cars have the VSS
buffer (4000 ppm to 2000 ppm) prior to the ECM VSS input, whereas the L
& A cars have the ECM performing the VSS buffering before the VSS goes
to the instrument cluster?  I'm not sure that's right.

It may not matter to anyone except myself, so pardon me if this is
seemingly off topic.  I'm finding this VERY interesting how the VSS
signal is routed and processed by the ECM, especially since, when I do
get into chipping, several friends have L cars and this could be very
important to drivability and performance.  So thanks for the info, Senor
Langens.