GTech as a testing device

D. Barry Stubbs z24man at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 30 21:10:46 GMT 2000

Dave Zug wrote:

> Its against the law to go 0-110 in 12 seconds  on a public roadway, so it
> gives you the advantage of only getting 8 points when you're caught going
> 0-60 in 3.4. (can they call it DRAG RACING if theres no one next to you?)

I guess I shouldn't have much of a problem there.  Even after some
serious tuning, I think I could listed to Beethoven's 5th before hitting
110 from a dead stop.  But, a friend & co-worker lives way back in the
boonies not too far from me, and he indicated that road test wouldn't be
a problem near his house, since there really is no law where he's at.

> I am able to "fool" gtech with a couple of harsh clutch drops in the 305
> car - I know someone who has a really really REALLY hard 1-2 auto shift that
> drives it nutz too.

Yup, I did that too with a borrowed unit.  205hp from a stock 2.8L V6?
Naah, not possible.

> as long as you do everything the same(shifts same harshness, level grade,..)
> and only make HUGE mods, you'll be able to guage the difference.
> Make 2 degrees of spark change and you need to make 20 runs BEFORE and 20
> runs AFTER to get a more accurate comparison. same as track I guess. Dyno
> rules here IMHO.

Good point.  Its just that dyno time and $$ around here is hellacious.
AFAIK Atlanta is the nearest dyno shed, and not worth it IMHO.  But
seat-of-the-pants isn't worth a crap either.  As Bruce said (I think),
the fast car feels slow.

So, what other alternatives are there?  Someone mentioned a timer
circuit and watching data from the logs in the VSS column.  That sounds
pretty neat, and dirt cheap.  Any others?