Lenix vs. Windows?? and MORE!!

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Sep 7 20:00:57 GMT 2000

I just use an AST 486/25.
Theives generally know what they're looking at.
No need to put tempation in harms way.
Run Diacom, GMEPro, and Direct scan all in DOS anyway.
Bruce

From: AntiVenmVette007 at aol.com
Subject: Lenix vs. Windows?? and MORE!!
  OK, I need computer GURU help, please. I have traded my Portable Pioneer
DVD player for 2 Pentium III Computers. One is a 450Mhz the other is a
700Mhz. I plan to permanently mount the 700 in my Vette, and the 450 in the
house. I will also be gladly loosing AOL for a Cable Modem.
  My main question is, what Soft/Hardware should I use for the 700 in the
Vette to tune my Computer?? Dia-Com?? And what Operating system should I
use?? Lenix or Windows XP?? I know nothing of Lenix, tho it has been
recommended for my application by many. I also know little about windows,
and
the New XP. Since I am relatively computer illiterate at the moment. I do
have 2 friends willing to help me learn. One uses Lenix the other uses XP
and
both are very literate.
   I need to also inform you all of my exact intentions for the Vette's
Computer (the Pentium that is). OK, for one, I have BW/Infrared and color
cameras. I plan to mount one, forward facing, on the rear view mirror. This
one will be used to record drag races and such, and to help with my poor
night vision. The second will be mounted in either the "O" of the "CORVETTE"
insignia, or the third brake light, used mainly as a reversing aid, and to
help see since I have Limo tinted windows. =) These will be hooked to the
Computer at all times using a Video "IN" card.
   Secondly, I will be integrating the Vats and Viper Alarm Systems already
in place (Mass Proximity sensors, Pager Warning System, Multiple shock
sensors, and window roll-up/down module) , with the computer, and a cell
phone Modem (PCS). This way I will be able to access my Computer in the
Vette
over the "Net" and hopefully, if all goes well be able to Interact with
those
systems using the modem (to make a very long story shorter).
   I also have a 17.3" SGI LCD Monitor, cordless keyboard/mouse. The Disk
burner and floppy drive will be mounted in the dash/glovebox area. I also
have 2 removable hard drives.
   A friend recommended a "Ricochet" modem inplace of the cell phone modem.
Anybody have experience with one of these??
   I know of some electronics companies making circuit boards with multiple
12 volt relays that are controlled by your PC, this is what I plan to use to
interface the PC with the Alarm system.
   I hope to be able to use the Computer to "Authorize" who I let drive the
car by either Password or Voice Recognition (XP comes with this) So that
only
the people who I previously authorize will be able to use it, and certain
"accessories" when IM away. This will also insure that only certain people
can use certain things. Like when my girlfriend drives the car, I can shut
the NOS off automatically with her "User" controls when she enters the car,
for example. Even if somebody stole a set of keys, they could not move the
car an inch. Ofcoarse this is a project, tho most of what I have mentioned I
already poses, PC's, Cameras, Soft/Hardware,etc.
  Sorry for the huge post, I just wanted to make sure I covered everything
in regard to what I plan on doing with the Vette/what OP System would best
suit my needs.
 TIA for any input.
     Justin (88 Vette, Super Sonic office on wheels) P