Disassembly/Reassembly

Red86 henders at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 2 04:32:47 GMT 2001

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001 15:10:06 +1000, you wrote:

>Was -- Re: WOW
>
>Red86 wrote:
>>
>> I know that took a lot of effort. I'm heading in that general
>> direction, but with only a PDF file of the disassembled code to work
>> from. Lots of typing to do, then fix all the compiler errors, then the
>> runtime errors... Huge chunk of time there. Wow.
>
>Which calibration? There is a $32 (BUA) that can be re-assembled,
>and I think John Gwynne has another HAC that he's "fixed".
>
>Sometimes it's easier to disassemble a BIN and then work from that,
>than trying to "fix" a PDF listing.
>
>Peter.

I am using the $32 BUA disassembly from the GMECM site, but I need to
end up with a BUB (manual trans) in the end. BUA -> BUB seems
straightforward.

I see your point on disassembly - let the computer do the work. I did
it that way a couple of times with Z80 code, and it was not pleasant
BUT that was using a binary of unknown structure with plenty of
data/code intermixing (and a few tricks the programmer threw in to
prevent reverse engineering!). In the present case, the $32 BUA
listing is already there to provide structure information. A $32 BUB
bin has recently appeared in \incoming, as well.

Is the disassembler I see in \incoming worthwhile to use?

Jim
Red '86 4+3