desktop dyno!

David & Cheryl Haggard david at newcovenant.com
Thu Aug 2 17:42:46 GMT 2001

Send me your engine specs, and I'll run it for you, then send you the
results. I need --

    Block type (small block Chevy, big block Mopar, etc.)
    Original block displacement
    Bore
    Stroke
    Make and type of heads
    Valve sizes
    Head flow data, if you have it
    Compression ratio
    Induction flow rating in CFM
    Induction type (2-bbl, 4-bbl, carb, TBI, SFI, etc.)
    Manifold type (dual-plane, single-plane, tunnel ram) or the Make and
model of the manifold
    If you have a blower, make and model, with pulley ratio if it's a
belt-driven type
    If you are going to run Nitrous, how much in lb/hr or the amount of
"horsepower" shot
    Exhaust system (stock manifold, Headers, header tube diameters, pipe
diameters, make and model of mufflers, single or dual, etc.)
    Camshaft make and model. Or you can tell me the advertised and 0.050"
duration, lift, lobe center angle, intake center angle, advance or retard
when installed (all of this is on the cam spec card), and type (roller,
solid flat-tappet, or hydraulic flat-tappet).
    Rocker arm ratio, and type of rocker (stamped, roller-tip, or full
roller)

    Desktop Dyno's results must be interpreted, based on experience and on
comparison to actual dyno runs made by real-world engines. So any other
information you can provide will help, like the make and model of the timing
chain and gears. Or if you're using a timing gear set. Or longer than stock
connecting rods. Or full-seal piston rings. Etc. Etc.

Dave Haggard
   1988 Formula Firebird
   305 2 X 2-bbl CFI (under construction)
   http://www.newcovenant.com/firebird/