ECM swap?

Volker Volker at VWSoft.com
Mon Aug 6 09:41:46 GMT 2001

Hi folks!

It comes more and more to the point that my ECM has a fault (there's still
the possibility for a bad grounding or anything else - I'll check it out
tomorrow or so). Current effect is: Injectors aren't opening (both, also
one has already been replaced - same effect so I don't think the injectors
are the problem anymore) and the ECM is suspected not to drive a good
signal to the injectors (I'll hook up the oscilloscope on it and see what
signal is being generated).

Just for the reason my current ECM is at fault and must be replaced: What
do I have to do to swap it against another one, where to start, what to
watch out for?

Model: Isuzu Rodeo 3.1 V6 model 1992, manual trans, A/C
ECM: 1228838 / ANFK

Sensors used: TPS, O2, Temp, MAP, Knock (/ESC)
Elements driven: IAC stepper motor, Injectors (TBI unit, 2 injectors)

As the current ECM is not very common (won't find one at the second hand
market) I'm thinking about using a good known (well documented at DIY-EFI)
one and when installing a new one I would also appreciate to have a 8192
baud interface.

What about my current calibrations when throwing in another unit? What has
to be done and how, how to convert my current calibrations? May I be able
to reuse my old calibration? Do you see any trouble with the exhaust gas as
we're having a very strong law on emissions here in Germany?

Any suggestions, thoughts, comments? Any thoughts about the real problem
(injectors doesn't inject but everything looks good) are also appreciated.

Perhaps anybody reading here has a #1228838 unit and is willing to sell it?
I just need a quick solution (a 747 or other swap might be a long term
project).

Thanks,

Volker